So it’s Friday and we are having our very first Baby Food Friday post! This recipe is a favourite at our house, for both our little one and us parents. It’s from HeartSmart: The Best of HeartSmart Cooking (Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada), written by Bonnie Stern. Of course with any recipe, you will want to make sure that the ingredients are age appropriate for your little one.
Banana Bread (makes 1 small loaf or 12 muffins)
1 cup very ripe mashed bananas (2 medium)
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I use full fat since it’s for my little guy)
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg or 2 egg whites
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. In a small bowl, combine bananas, yogurt and baking soda.
2. In a separate bowl, combine egg, sugar, oil and vanilla. Blend well.
3. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt. Mix together well.
4. Combine banana mixture with oil mixture. Add to dry ingredients in large bowl and stir together just until moistened.
5. Spoon batter into a non-stick, lightly oiled or parchment-lined 8×4 inch (1.5L) loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 50-60 minutes, or until loaf springs back when gently touched.
For muffins: spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes.
The muffins freeze really well in a freezer bag and are still nice and moist after defrosting. Which, in my opinion, is really nice because 12 Banana Bread muffins on the counter would be gone in about 12 minutes around here 😀 .
What’s your favourite recipe you make for your little one? We’d love to share it with our readers!