So you know you want to use cloth diapers or you have just bought your stash of cloth diapers and now what? What do you need to make cloth diapering easier for you and anyone else that will change your little one’s bum? We’ve put a list together of what we think are the top five cloth diaper accessories that you need.
1. Diaper Sprayer. The diaper sprayer is one of those purchases that you think you don’t need to make. But trust me, it is worth every single penny. If you exclusively breast feed you essentially don’t need one. But as soon as you start solids or you bottle feed your baby, a diaper sprayer is worth its weight in gold. Rinsing off a soiled diaper is far easier and less messier than swishing in the toilet, which to be honest doesn’t really work.
2. Wet Bags. Sure one wet bag is handy for going out. But you really need an extra. Once one is dirty, you don’t want to reuse it the next day. You can… but it won’t smell so great. So while one is in the wash, you have an extra. Plus, reusable wet bags go along with the whole reusable diaper thing. Doesn’t really make sense to use a plastic garbage bag for your cloth diapers.
3. Bioliners. These are very handy for when you’re out or in the beginning with a newborn. Newborns poop A LOT. Bioliners (if you don’t have a diaper sprayer), make clean up super easy. Dump the soiled bioliner in the toilet and you’re done. They are flushable and septic tank safe. Also very handy if you do have to use diaper cream as they will protect your diapers.
4. Cloth Wipes. Since you’re washing diapers anyway, you might as well be washing cloth wipes. A dozen or two and you are good to go right up to potty training. Cloth wipes save you a ton of money and also go along with the whole reusable diaper thing.
5. Laundry Detergent. Cloth diaper safe laundry detergent is a must have. There are a lot of “natural” laundry detergents on the market, but most of them still have ingredients such as coconut oil in them. Coconut oil will leave a residue on your diapers which will cause them to repel. A good cloth diaper detergent is important. It will clean your diapers and keep away any smells.
What are your “must have” cloth diapering accessories?