Prefolds are great. They are inexpensive and they are perfect for the newborn stage when your little one needs a LOT of diaper changes. Plus they wash up really quickly. So you buy your prefolds, you get them home and you find yourself looking at a big rectangular square thing and what do you do with it?
There are a number of different prefold folding techniques you can use. Some are better for boys and others are better for girls. We’re going to cover a few of the basic ones to get you started. Now before I get into the folds, I must mention that prefold folding takes a bit of practice, especially if you’re an “all thumbs” sort of person. I recommend practicing on a doll a couple times first. It will make your first “live” experience go much better!
The simplest and does not require a Snappi or pins.
1. Lay out your prefold
3. Lay the prefold into the cover and fold down any excess. You can fold down in the front for extra absorbency for boys, or in the back for girls.
4. Place the diaper and cover on your baby and secure the cover. That’s it!
Newspaper Fold / Angel Wings Fold / Fan Fold
Lots of names but they are all the same! This one is perfect to catch runny newborn poop!
1. Fold the diaper into thirds.
2. Fan out the back of the diaper to create a little pocket and wings.
3. Lay the diaper underneath your baby.
4. Bring the wings around to the front of your baby and fasten with a Snappi.
5. Place cover over diaper and secure.
Bikini Twist Fold
Recommended for girls.
1. Lay diaper flat on diaper cover.
2. Twist the diaper at the middle (one quick way as per Bummis is to grab the right corner with the left hand and left corner with right hand and twist).
3. Bring the front of the diaper up and fasten with a Snappi.
4. Secure cover.
There are a lot of sources available online to help you with your folding techniques. Bummis has made a great video displaying some of them. You can find the Bummis How to Fold a Prefold video on their blog.